Thursday, July 21, 2011

Washington DC Tour Via Water

It's always fun to show the coaches DC while they are staying with us.  While they were with us I got a Living Social email for a DC Harbor Cruise.  It was a mini monument cruise along the Potomac River and it was perfect for the coaches who had never seen DC.  They were so excited.  We only saw things from the river, but it was actually kind of fun that way and Johnathan and Mark loved it.  I loved it too because I'd never seen the monuments and memorials from that angle.

We started at the DC harbor down from Georgetown right by the Kennedy Center where we had seen Wicked three days earlier.  You like that boat there?  Yeah I wish that's the one we were touring on, but it wasn't.

Our group with the Watergate Hotel in the background.


Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument

Jefferson Memorial

The Pentagon







After the tour Johnathan said he would like to see the Washington Cathedral.  He had heard it was modeled after Westminster Abbey and it turned out it was.  I don't remember ever seeing it before so I was quite impressed too.  Later my mom told me I had been before when I was little.

Some lady was sun bathing on the lawn of the cathedral.  We all thought that was very poor taste.






You see that little light circle in the middle of the darker big circle?

Well in the middle of that light small circle is a dark spot you can kind of see.

That dark spot is a moon rock from the first moon landing that they put in the stained glass.  Tade was so excited about this and couldn't stop talking about it.

These are some view from one of the towers.  You can see the Washington Monument and the Capital off in the distance.



No comments:

Post a Comment