Growing up in Maryland then living in Utah, California, and North Carolina I have experienced all seasons, climates, and terrain to a point, but some people haven't had much chance to visit different areas. There are three times in my life where I have been present during the some wonderful first time moments for people who haven't been to places greatly different from their home areas. The first was my freshman year at BYU. There were two Hawaiian girls on my floor. It was the end of September, actually on my birthday, when the first snow came. I was outside with friends when these two girls came running out with the brightest faces. They were looking up and twirling. This was the first time they had ever seen snow. The pure joy that came from them was amazing. I was so glad I was there to share that moment with them.
The second moment I was able to be a part of was on my mission. My last companion before I went home was Sister Oyuntungalag from Mongolia. She was hilarious. I was her second companion and by the time I got to her the elders had made sure to teach her all the important American things to say and how to act. Yeah, a bunch of 19 and 20 year old guys introducing Sister O to the states is not the best introduction, but it sure made for some good laughs. Anyway, we were in an area that wasn't near the ocean. In my previous area, Huntington Beach, I saw the ocean everyday. One day for a reason I don't recall we had to head west towards my old area. As we came down a road and past some houses I heard Sister O gasp and I looked over to see a face in awe. I asked her what she was reacting too. She then pointed in front of us. We had just come up and over a hill in the road revealing the Pacific Ocean. I agree it was beautiful, but I thought her reaction was a little extreme until she explained this was the first time she had ever seen the ocean. I felt like I was with a child experiencing something for the first time. Once again I was so happy to be a part of one of these "first moments."
Just this last week was the third "first moment" I was able to be part of. This one is not as extreme as seeing snow or the ocean for the first time, but the reaction was just as good. Living back east we are fortunate to have all sorts of wildlife. It's part of what comes with having trees everywhere. We also get a million bugs with those trees. Most of those insects I could do without, but there are a few I enjoy. Lightning bugs are one of the exceptions. They are also a bug that don't make it out west. We have been telling our niece, Madison, about the lightning bugs and how they fill the trees in our backyard. When it is dark the trees look like there is a blinking light show going on. It is quite an amazing sight. The first night Madison was over she and Tade went outside with jars hoping to catch some lightning bugs. They hadn't been out for more than a minute when Madison came running back inside beaming and yelling, "I saw lightning bugs, I saw lightning bugs!" She was so excited. Then she ran right back outside to continue her new lightning bug adventure. Seeing her made me all happy inside and immediately reminded me of the first two experiences I just related. I feel so lucky to have been present for these new discoveries. The world is an amazing place and I have definitely taken for granted the things I have grown up with and seen in the places I have lived and the seasons I have lived through.
No comments:
Post a Comment